Hmmmm…pizza. I have to admit from time to time we endulge in cheese pizza from Costco…but there is just something magical about making pizza from scratch at home. Whenever we make homemade pizza, we use the following dough recipe.
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
pinch of sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3½ cups regular flour
1. Please yeast in the bowl, and pour warm water in bowl. Stir in the sugar, mix with a fork, and allow to stand until the yeast has dissolved and starts to foam (5-10 minutes).
2. Use a wooden spoon to mix in the salt and about one third of the flour. Mix in another third of the flour, stirring with the spoon until the dough forms a mass and begins to pull away form the sides of the bowl.
3. Sprinkle some of the remaining flour onto a smooth work surface. Remove the dough from the bowl and begin to knead it, working in the remaining flour a little at a time. Knead for 8-10 minutes. By the end the dough should be elastic and smooth. Form it into a ball.
4. Lightly oil a mixing bowl. Place the pizza that is lightly-covered in oil (to prevent forming a “skin”) into the bowl and let the dough rise for 40-50 minutes.
5. After the rising period, we usually split the dough into equal halves: One half to use to make the pizza crust, the other half gets wrapped with plastic wrap. It can be stored for several days in the refrigerator.
6. Roll the dough out and place directly on a pizza pan.
Check out our homemade pizza recipe https://ourfunstuff.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/homemade-pizza/
Note: this makes 2 large round pizzas. We often make just one pizza and store the other half of the dough in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. Make sure to use up the dough within 1 week. Alternatively, just use half of the dough ingredients and make half the dough.
* Next time you buy frozen or fresh pizza dough, look at all of the ingredients. This recipe only has 5 ingredients. =)