I think one of my favorite American treats is carrot cake. However, I know that most carrot cakes are pretty heavy and are not the health food the name makes them appear to be. I cam across this variant of a healthful version from a friend of mine. Give it a try! It is supermoist and the taste is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. This recipe actually results in a superdelicious and healthy carrot cake. =)
3 cups carrots, shredded
1¼ cup organic sugar
2 cups flour (Note: Do not use more than 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, it will make the cake too dry)
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
½ cup orange juice
¾ cup (half: oil, half: applesauce)
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped
¼ cup tofutti cream cheese or other kind of soycream cheese
¼ cup vegan margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Do not use a hand mixer for this recipe, use a ladle or spoon. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then mix the carrots and the oil to the dry ingredients. Add the orange juice and mix it all together. Fold in the nuts and raisins.
3. Grease pan with cooking spray or oil. Put the batter into cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until knife/toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and margarine together. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla together with hand mixer. Pipe into a plastic ziplock bag and close bag. When cake is completely cool, cut a little snip off the bottom corner of the ziplock bag and drizzle the creamy frosting over the top of the cake as pictured. Or you can always just frost it regularly.
* Carrots are a good source of beta carotene, vitamin B and C, fiber, calcium, iron, and potassium.
* Orange juice is rich in vitamin C and beta carotene.
* Replacing some oil with apple sauce will reduce the overall fat content of the cake.
* Using orange juice makes the cake moist without adding any of the fat that additional oil would add.
* Organic unsweetened applesauce also provides many of the benefits of raw apples, such as containing fiber and vitamin C.
* Tofu cream cheese is vegan-friendly and also has fewer calories than regular cream cheese, but is still a good source of protein.