Phew…months later…I am finally writing down what I did for my first ever homemade apple pie with double-crust. You may remember that we liked the outcome of the apple pie (single crust) https://ourfunstuff.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/first-try-apple-pie/. However, Hans and I agreed that if the pie had a double-crust, the apples would likely have stayed more moist AND made the pie even more scrumptious.
So here is what we did to create the pie.
Ingredients (Makes 1 pie)
Ingredients for double pie crust:
2/3 cup olive oil
2 1/2 cups organic flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup ice water
2 tablespoons organic raw sugar
Preparation of pie crust:
1. Make sure that the oil and water is ice-cold. This will make the dough flakier.
2. Add all ingredients together to make a smooth dough. I ended up hand-mixing the dough. Once the dough is done, place it in the refrigerator for one hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out half of the dough on a floured surface and place into greased pie baking dish. Bake for 7-10 minutes to allow pie crust to set for filling.
Meanwhile you can prepare the pie filling.
Ingredients for the pie filling:
3 tablespoons raw sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons organic flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
5-6 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
Preparation of pie filling:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and gently stir to mix ingredients.
2. Pour the mixture into a mediums-sized pan and heat slowly on low to medium heat for 5-10 minutes, or until apples reach desired “doneness.” We found that heating the mixture and stirring it, helps to evenly coat the apple slices with honey and sugar.
3. Fill the mixture into the prepared crust. Roll out the second half of the dough and cover the apple slices. Make sure to seal the pie crust edges. I usually use a fork to gently press down to seal the edges. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown and apples are tender.