Hans does not care for guacamole or pico de gallo. As I like both, it is nice to cook make it whenever we have dinner guests.
So below you will find a detailed description on how to make cheese and bean enchiladas, Mexican rice, refried beans, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Enjoy =)
Ingredients for the enchiladas:
8 medium flour tortillas (8-inch)
1 1/2 can refried pinto beans (We love the organic refried pinto beans from Trader Joe’s)
shredded Mexican cheese mix
1 small can enchilada sauce
Preparation of enchiladas:
1. Use about one tablespoon of refried beans and spread in the center of one tortilla.
2. Sprinkle beans with shredded cheese.
3. Tug the sides of the tortilla in and roll the tortilla.
4. Place in oven-safe glass dish. It is best to spread a little bit of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the glass dish to prevent sticking. Layer the rolled tortilla with the seam down into the glass dish.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the remaining tortillas.
6. Pour enchilada sauce over the rolled up tortillas. It maybe helpful to use a knife to gently lift each one and allow sauce to go in between each. Sprinkle with cheese on top.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Mexican rice:
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 cup salsa, blended
1 cup water
1 veggie bouillon cube
Preparation of rice:
1. Rinse the rice under running water. This will remove the starch and make the rice very fluffy.
2. Heat oil in dutch oven on stove. Check for the temperature of the olive oil by dropping a couple kernels of rice into the dutch oven. If they start to sauté right away, the temperature of the oil is at the correct temperature.
When the correct temperature has been reached, add the rice to the dutch oven. Stir frequently and sauté the rice until it appears translucent.
3. Add the water, salsa, and veggie bouillon cube. Heat until simmering while stirring constantly. Once the mixture is simmering, turn off the stove. Move the dutch oven into the oven at 350 F. Cook rice for 30 minutes. Stir once at 15 minutes.
Ingredients for refried beans:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon green chilies
1 1/2 cans refried beans
taco seasoning (we use our homemade taco seasoning https://ourfunstuff.wordpress.com/2015/05/23/homemade-taco-seasoning/)
Preparation of refried beans:
1. Heat olive oil in small pot. Once oil is hot, sauté onion until translucent.
2. Add beans, sautéed onion, and green chilies into blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Transfer bean mixture back into small pot. Heat slowly. Add taco seasoning to taste.
Ingredients for guacamole:
¼ medium tomatoes, chopped
¼ small onion, chopped
Jalapeños/serranos, chopped (to taste)
5-6 sprigs cilantro, chopped
¼ teaspoon cumin powder
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Lemon/lime juice, to taste
Preparation of guacamole:
1. Cut and peel the avocados and take the flesh out in a bowl.
2. With a fork mash it up a little, be careful not to overdo it. It needs to have a little texture.
3. Add in the following: tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and cilantro.
4. Squeeze some lemon juice into it, and mix.
5. Add in cumin powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
6. Chill and serve as a dip with some chips.
Ingredients for pico de gallo:
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/3 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
salt to taste
Preparation of pico de gallo:
1. Combine the ingredients. Be sure to taste the pico de gallo. If necessary adjust the seasoning by adding more salt or additional diced jalapeno pepper.
Serving of food:
1. Heat plates briefly in oven.
2. Arrange enchiladas, rice, beans, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Sprinkle with Coteja cheese and serve with sour cream (optional).
3. Enjoy =)
Recipe inspired by: