I am still behind with posting things…but this another attempt to catch up one recipe at a time.
Here is a recipe that is super-yummy and easy to make. It cannot compete with traditional Indian cooking, but it is really really really good.
Ingredients (Makes 3-4 servings)
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup vegetable broth
2 (15 ½ -ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder or tumeric
1 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons prepared chutney
2 (15 ½-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1. Sautee the onion in olive oil until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Cover, and allow to cook for at least 5 minutes (I preferred simmering 15-20 minutes to soften chickpeas), stirring occasionally, until heated through.
3. Meanwhile prepare rice to go with meal. We prefer Jasmin rice.
4. Serve over rice or other whole grain if desired.
* Chickpeas are a great source of proteins, so it is a wonderful dish for vegetarians. It is also high in fiber. In addition, the amount of iron, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K content contribute to building and maintaining bone structure and strength.
* Tomatoes are a great source of vimatins C and E, beta carotene, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.