I love bananas, but I am very picky about when to eat them. I prefer them when the banana peel is yellow with just a bit of green on it. Once the banana peel starts showing spots, I will not eat the bananas.
And it happens occasionally, that the bananas turned brown before I could eat them. It turns out that very ripe bananas are best for banana bread. The riper the banana is, the higher the glycemic index and the sweeter the banana is. You can even freeze your ripe bananas to be used for banana bread later, just make sure to remove the banana peel before freezing the banana.
1 cup raw organic sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1½ cups mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup water
1 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1. Heat oven to 350° F. Grease bottom of loaf pan.
2. Mix sugar and butter. Stir in eggs until blended. Add bananas and water; beat 30 seconds.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean,
55 to 60 min., cool 5 min.
Note: For vegan option replace butter with vegan butter and replace eggs. Reduce water. 1 egg = 1 tablespoon flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water (well-mixed and heated)
Health benefits of the recipe:
* Raw sugar contains molasses and therefore contains small amounts of calcium, iron, and potassium. On the contrary, white sugar does not contain molasses, thus it lack these minerals. In addition, raw sugar is richer in flavor, which allows one to use less raw sugar. Overall, the presence of minerals and the ability to use less raw sugar in place of white sugar makes raw sugar a better alternative to white sugar.
* The glycemic index (GI) of bananas varies depending on the fruit’s ripeness. A banana with some green still left on the yellow peel has a lower GI than a banana with brown spots. The GI refers to the ranking system comparing how fast carbohydrates from a given food are released into the body. You can find more about the GI on this website
* Bananas are rich in potassium, fiber, zinc, iron, folate, and vitamin B6. This superfruit is known to lift the spirit, aid in sleep, eases high blood pressure, soothes the stomach and digestive system, boosts energy levels, and can help the body to eliminate toxins.