The possibilities are endless for this recipe. The ingredients can be changed up based on what is in your pantry or based on your likes. We modified version 1 https://ourfunstuff.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/torilla-soup/ to allow for more variability, if salsa is not available.
Ingredients (Makes 3 servings):
½ onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ green pepper, chopped
½ sweet potato, chopped
1 can (15 ounce) organic kidney beans, including liquid
1 can (15 ounce) organic cut tomatoes, including liquid
1½ cup water
1 veggie boullion cube (½ cube for 1 cup water)
1/3 cup black quinoa
taco seasoning, to taste (SEE BELOW)
1. Add all ingredients into the seasoned Dutch oven (8 inch).
2. Place Dutch oven on hot coals and heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
3. Enjoy with cheese quesadilla.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
Note: This recipe can be adapted to accommodate whatever you can find in your pantry. Need to use up potatoes and carrots. Just cut them into small pieces and add into the dutch oven. No salsa, just use a can of cut tomatoes instead. Kidney beans can be replaced by other type of bean, such as black beans or garbanzo beans.
* Quinoa is glutenfree and rich in protein. It is also a good source of essential amino acids like lysine and acceptable quantities of calcium, phosphorus, and iron.
* Kidney beans are a great source of protein.
* Bell peppers are a good source of vitamin C and E, beta carotene, iron, potassium, and bioflavinoids.
* Sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene, vitamin C and E, potassium, fiber, and iron.