Need something to bring for your next pot luck or a party with Mexican food? Aren’t really good at cooking or are afraid of doing something wrong? Here is an appetizer that is super versatile, yummy, (healthy), and can be prepared ahead of time.
Refried beans (SEE BELOW)
Guacamole (SEE BELOW)
Sour cream (8 ounces) mixed with a little taco seasoning
Shredded cheese, Mexican blend or Cheddar
Black olives, sliced
Green (Spring) onions, chopped
Layer each ingredient (in the order provided) in a deep serving platter. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours minimum. Can be made one day in advance.
¼ medium tomatoes, chopped
¼ small onions, chopped
Jalapeños/serranos, chopped (to taste)
5-6 sprigs cilantro, chopped
¼ teaspoons roasted cumin powder
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Lime juice, to taste
1. Cut and peel the avocados and take the flesh out in a bowl.
2. With a fork mash it up a little, be careful not to overdo it. It needs to have a little texture.
3. Add in the following: tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, cilantro.
4. Squeeze some lime juice into it and mix.
5. Add in roasted cumin powder, salt and black pepper and mix well.
6. Chill and serve as a dip with some chips.
2 14-ounce cans refried beans (Note: 1 can is sufficient)
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, chopped
Green chillies, finely chopped (to taste)
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
¼ cup water, as needed
Salt, to taste
Lemon/lime juice, to taste
1. In a pan, heat oil on medium heat.
2. Once hot, add in the Onions and the Green Chillies.
3. Cook until the onions get a little color, add in the taco seasoning and mix.
5. Add a little water to avoid the spices from burning and cook.
6. Add in the Beans and mix well.
7. Add in salt and lime/lemon juice and bring to boil.
8. Once it comes to a boil, take it off the flame and it’s ready to serve.
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
Serve with organic tortilla chips.
* Healthier snack than just chips and many of the store-bought dip.
* This recipe is filled with healthy ingredients and it tastes delicious.
* Avocados are rich in iron, monounsaturated fats (the GOOD fats), vitamin C and E, beta carotene, potassium, and manganese.
* Hot peppers contain vitamin C and E, beta carotene, as well as folate.
* Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and E, beta carotene, menesium, potassium, and calcium.
* Lime or lemon juice is packed with vitamine C.
* Refried beans are a great source of protein for a vegetarian. Refried beans also contain fiber.